Financial Literacy Resources
The USOPC recognizes the importance of financial literacy for Team USA athletes. Understanding personal finance empowers athletes to make informed decisions about their financial well-being and long-term stability. By equipping athletes with financial literacy skills, we aim to foster a sense of financial independence, security, and enable them to navigate their careers and post-athletic life with confidence.
1:1 Money CoachingGet Started, opens in a new tab
Finances can be stressful for many people, especially athletes. The USOPC is proud to partner with Bolder Money to bring athletes 1:1 money coaching to help provide them with the tools and resources they need to put their money worries at ease and focus on their success on and off the field of play.
Through this program athletes are matched with a money coach to work through identifying finanical values, assessing their emotional relationship with money, and setting goals they want to be working towards. Over the course of three months with their coach, athletes can expect to gain confidence and clarity around thier finances.
Paralympic Athlete Financial ConsultingSign Up Now, opens in a new tab
We are excited to support our Paralympic athletes, Team USA athletes with disabilities, significant others, and/or family members with up to two-hours of one-on-one advising with Josh Basile, Esq. Josh is a a C4-5 quadriplegic wheelchair user, father, trial attorney, and disability rights advocate.
In athlete's consultations with Josh they will:
- Start building out a custom game plan for navigating and enrolling in government, state, and federal benefit programs
- Discuss strategies for requesting workplace accommodations and pay raises as a disabled person
- Strategize how to maintain benefits through Medicaid buy-in programs or 1619 B family & community supports
- Learn how to use Able accounts and/or special needs trusts
- Talk about financial and asset considerations
- Identify key factors and barriers to accomplishing employment goals and learn how to request accommodations in their career
Tax Preparation SupportLearn More
Each year from February-April, the USOPC Athlete Development & Engagement Department offers complimentary in-person (Colorado Springs) and virtual tax preparation sessions with IRS-certified volunteers (VITA). Athletes can request an appointment with a tax adviser to file their taxes and receive guidance for future tax cycles. Keep an eye on our events calendar to book your session next tax season!
*To be eligible for these services, athlete income must be $60,000 or less. Additionally, the advisors will not be able to provide services if athletes have invested in Cryptocurrency.