To better serve Team USA athletes, carry out the values of the Olympic and Paralympic movements and abide by applicable rules and regulations, the USOPC and its member National Governing Bodies partner to fulfill obligations as leaders of the Olympic and Paralympic movements in the United States.
Pursuant to the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, NGBs have agreed to comply with all conditions of membership as set forth by the USOPC's bylaws. Starting in 2021, NGBs are audited every quad against the NGB Compliance Standards.
The USOPC collaborated with leaders from the NGB Council, Athletes’ Advisory Council and U.S. Olympians & Paralympians Association to architect the NGB Compliance Standards in an effort to strengthen good governance and more clearly define common operational language, measurements, and goals in accordance with USOPC Bylaws and the Ted Steven’s Amateur Sports Act. The standards focus on five key areas, including:
- Athlete protection and rights – clarity to ensure fulfillment of policies and standards set by the U.S. Center for SafeSport and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
- Governance and compliance – elevating athletes’ voices and representation with emphasis on board composition and conflicts of interest
- Financial standards and reporting – enhanced financial stability, board approval, and oversight
- Sport performance – successful implementation and adoption of team selection procedures and Paralympic classification standards
- Operational performance – additional measures to promote managerial capability, grievance procedures, whistleblower and anti-retaliation policies, gender equity and equal opportunity, strategic planning, and transparency around existing diversity and inclusion scorecard reporting requirements
It should be noted that this is the first time the USOPC has performed an audit against all standards found in the NGB Compliance Standards which were effective January 1, 2021.
NGB Audit Reports
Please click the section below to view an NGB’s report: