Celebrating its 30th anniversary, the USOPC FLAME program is designed to inspire People of Color to pursue careers within the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Movement. The FLAME program creates pathways by effectively engaging attendees with the required knowledge, career guidance, and networking opportunities to be successful. This year, the USOPC FLAME program will take place June 22-25, 2023, at the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Travel, accommodation, and food will be covered for participants for the duration of the event.
The program provides participants in-depth exposure to the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Movement. Program experiences include engaging with current and retired Team USA athletes, residing at the Colorado Springs Olympic & Paralympic Training Center, networking with staff and leaders from the USOPC and various National Governing Bodies, and learning about what it means to be a supportive staff member of the team behind Team USA.
Applicants must demonstrate how they pursue excellence within their professional experience, in addition to explaining their career goals and interests. Applicants are expected to exhibit enthusiasm for Olympic & Paralympic sport, while demonstrating personal principles aligning with the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Committee’s values of pursuing excellence, leading courageously, serving others and foster belonging.
- Have up to five years of full-time work experience. Recently retired Team USA athletes are encouraged to apply.
- Reside at the Colorado Springs Olympic & Paralympic Training Center dorms and share a room with another participant for the duration of the program.
- Meet USOPC Covid-19 vaccine requirements, pass background check and complete Safe Sport education training.
- Be eligible for employment in the U.S. without sponsorship.
- Gain the inside experience of a Team USA athlete’s journey and learn what drives athletes’ quest for success.
- Gain insight into what it takes to work for Team USA by interacting and learning from U.S. Olympic & Paralympic industry leaders, discovering unique opportunities for employment and observing the Olympic & Paralympic ecosystem.
- Showcase skills and talents to create pathways for work opportunities with the USOPC and NGBs.
- Connect with peers of color and gain lifelong friendships.
The application portal will remain open until May 1, 2023, at 5 PM MST. For questions, contact FLAME@usopc.org.
Program participants will be selected in early May and notified by May 19, 2023.